Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Methods of Design: Aesthetics Project Pt. 3

The Blue and Beyond
Christopher West
Colored Pencil on Bristol
2016 

Untitled (Cat #257)
Phil Sims
Paint on Canvas
1996

In the above project I took inspiration from the Untitled work by Phil Sims and in my opinion made it more appealing. I did find a colored pencil in my supply box that was very very close in the shade of blue that Phil Sims used in his original work. I used that color as the outer ring of blue just before you get to the black that was used in the corners. Another similarity is between the two work is that I kept with the abstract minimalist feel of the original just not as minimalist. For the most part that is where the similarities end, by using more blues I really added to the value range taking it from almost white in the middle to black on the outer most areas. Also by using the approach that I did it gave the work a sense of movement, your eyes are drawn from the outer dark colors to the inner lighter colors. The light "streaks" throughout the work help with this sense of movement by making it look blurred as if you were falling into the light in the middle. 

No comments:

Post a Comment