Thursday, April 27, 2017

Visual Development

This month started off with some fairly simple tasks such as UVing models which I will admit has never really been my favorite task to accomplish but we were armed with a few extra tips and tricks to make the task go much smoother, so I was capable of flying through the task and getting all of the UV work done so I could move onto the texturing part of the lessons.



The image below was from the third week of the class. I made the texture for the metal pulley, the scrapper, and the stack of washers and spacer. The bottle was not completed until the fourth week of the class. The Biohazard symbol and red splatter on the wall were added by me as well. I chose those items to add to the background and weathered them the way that I did so that they would look old and fit the overall feel of everything else in the scene. The splatter was just an alpha pattern I found that I really liked and adjusted the color to the dark red... it could be paint or it could be blood. I am wanting the viewer to decide. The Biohazard symbol was an old sticker that I found an image of and applied it as a 3D projection to the wall and then took an alpha of a dirt pattern and put it over the sticker to make it look old and worn. The wall was my favorite part of this week. 


Below is the final render from the final week of the class this month. Obviously the biggest change from the previous week is the bottle sitting on the books. For that I applied a mila material in Maya and built upon it making small adjustments here and there to get the look of the glass just right. I then went back and tinted the glass with a slight blue tint as blue, brown and green were common colors for glass to come in a long time ago, especially for tonics, tinctures, and medicines. I then had to do a ton of searching for just the right label to put on the bottle, and in keeping with the theme that I started last week I found a poison label that I thought was really cool and old looking. I got it positioned on the bottle and explored the idea of changing the color just a bit to make it look older and softer. More like a paper label and less like a sticker. Finally I applied a diffuse layer to the bottle with an alpha plugged into is that had the color set to a dusty brown color to make the bottle look like it had been sitting there for a while. 

No comments:

Post a Comment